Friday, May 24, 2013

A Conundrum

Sometimes I sit on my back porch and just listen to whatever is out there in the national forest we call home.  There's some strange sounds coming out of some of the birds, at least I hope that's what they are.  I had a post about it written, but I scrapped it for a reason I can't remember.  For some reason, I've found that this sitting and listening helps me get my mind around some thoughts I have problems grasping.  Occasionally, music comes along, but since it wouldn't embed, I will just post the link.

Link To The Song I Just Mentioned

Anyway, the thought I've had trouble wrapping my head around was an essential one in my professional growth.  Timing is everything.  To quote my father: "you have to be patient enough to let happen what will happen, but impatient enough to force what won't happen to happen."  That may not be word for word since my wife claims we have our own language in my family, but it is close.  I agreed with him at the time, but the more I think about it, the less I really understand that statement.

So here I sat on the back porch and I pondered this. I've been looking for a farm for 2 years, though only "aggressively" since January.  That's the context of my father's quote.  At first, it seems simple enough, but as I think about it, how do I know what will happen? If I don't know what is going to happen, how do I know what to wait for and what to make happen? The more I think about it, the more I convince myself to take a leap of faith.  It's risky, but if risk wasn't fun, Vegas would just be a barren patch of desert in Nevada.  At the same time, doing this could have opportunity costs of what could be better in the long run.  Without the short-term risks, there may not be a long-term opportunity.  It's a never ending cycle.  I know that's a vague description, but an explanation would be a post in itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment